The Sagemont School inspires academic excellence through intellectual exploration, entrepreneurship, and innovation. Students are encouraged to take responsible risks and develop a deep understanding of social responsibility as active agents of change.
The Sagemont School is ready to welcome a passionate College Counselor who will be a core component in working with students in discovering their strengths and interests, exploring career opportunities, and finding institutions of higher learning which will meet these interests, strengths, and values.
- Proactively creates and develops positive relationships with all members of the school community (students, teachers, families).
- Creates a positive rapport in which students are encouraged to be actively engaged in the school counseling process.
- Establishes positive working relationships with colleges and universities, ensuring they are familiar with The Sagemont School, and creating opportunities for successful admission of Sagemont students.
- Educate faculty on writing recommendation letters and coordinate submission of college documentation.
- Guide students and faculty in understanding and utilizing Naviance, the college admission data management system. Provide guidance and resources and teach tools to navigate the college search and application process.
- The college counselor employs multiple avenues to reach students and families, including individual conferences with students and families, large group workshops, classrooms presentations, college visits, newsletters, and social media.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students and guardians through meaningful and frequent communication.
- Promotes community understanding through professional concern for all students, as well as demonstrating an interest in school and community activities.
- Coordinates individual college visits to Sagemont and holds an annual college fair to promote awareness for all high school students.
- Coordinate the school’s Executive Internship program. This includes community outreach to engage local businesses in student internship placement.
- Guide students on opportunities outside of the school environment, including summer options to explore areas of interest.
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement.
- Coordinate college practice exams in high school.
- Advise students on appropriate courses for their needs/abilities/goals.
- Looking for a college counselor excited to develop a senior year college course.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of colleges and universities, which includes making regular visits to colleges. Stay current on high education changes.
- Supports the aims, objectives, goals, and mission of the school.
- Creates a school-wide culture and knowledge of college opportunities.
- Remains current in the area of counseling through membership in professional organizations, reviews of related literature, and attendance of workshops and in-service programs.
Skills and Experience:
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Must have 3+ years experience teaching or working in a school setting supporting specifically targeted audiences – College Counseling.
- Excellent oral and writing skills
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team.
- Analytical, interpretive, evaluative, and constructive thinking skills are required.
- Evidence of high levels of organizational skills and the ability to work closely and effectively with students, parents, and colleagues.