The physical education teacher will be responsible for the general supervision and management of the athletic program at Stratford School. This person must be professionally prepared to teach physical education to young children.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Planning, supervising, and implementing the physical education curriculum in accordance with Stratford School policies and procedures.
- Extensive experience and knowledge of athletic equipment.
- Responsible for procurement, maintenance, and inventory of the P.E. equipment
- Know all athletic standards and requirements for young children, including the basic rules of sports and safety standards for each student.
- Attend all staff meetings and in-house training programs.
- Participation in all school athletic events and other special events as needed.
- Must maintain a current CPR and first aid.
- Monitor and assess student progress. Maintain close communication with the principal and parent regarding student issues, conferencing as deemed necessary.
- Submit weekly lesson plans to the principal.
- Establish a non-punitive method of sustaining sportsmanship, seeking positive rather than negative methods to correct student behavior.
- Responsible for the development and coaching of the Stratford School intramural or after-school sports program.
- Setting up and managing athletic events.
- Assist in other duties as assigned by the principal, including morning arrival and departure procedures.
- Perform daily tasks and responsibilities with integrity, making effective use of time schedules and not requiring constant reminders to complete tasks.
- Treat all children with dignity and respect.
- Demonstrate patience and self-control in dealing with students and staff.
- Display energy and enthusiasm, maintaining evident interest in the job.
- Contribute and share ideas freely with other staff members.
- Use appropriate language in and out of the classroom.
- Appropriately dressed, well groomed, and neat.
- Associates degree preferred and at least three years experience as a coach of a sports team.
- Candidate must demonstrate knowledge of the rules and regulations of the sports at the elementary level.
- Evidence of coaching theory and techniques in sports.
- Possess a valid CPR and First Aid card.
- Must have passed a physical, criminal background check, and other personnel forms as listed in the Stratford Employee Handbook.