Description Stratford Preparatory
offers an incredible opportunity to be the College Counselor, Founding Director,
a part of a new and dynamic high school in the heart of Silicon Valley.
The Director will lead a new program for students and families that will graduate its first senior class in 2026. They will build a highly successful and comprehensive program that is grounded in cultivating deep relationships with our students, promotes self-reflection, and emphasizes a “best-fit” approach to the college process. This position is first and foremost concerned with the development and implementation of effective college counseling strategies, innovative programming, and best practices in alignment with Stratford’s mission and values.
This Director will have prior experience having full responsibility for all elements of a college counseling office, as well as experience developing new systems and protocols in an early-stage start-up school. They should also be committed to helping students shape the narrative of their high school experience in a manner that transcends course performance. In the initial year, the Director will partner closely with the Director of Admissions in building student and parent confidence in our intended academic program and the rigorous preparation that it will provide for success in college and university.
This position requires an understanding of the broader higher education landscape and the ability to network with relevant associations and affiliations as well as admissions professionals. They will represent the college counseling office in a leadership capacity and assist the Head of School in strategic planning initiatives. The successful candidate will take an entrepreneurial approach to make appropriate use of all of the school’s resources and partnerships, and will be comfortable working in a start-up school environment.
As a member of the school’s leadership team, the Director will contribute to refining how we can best empower young people to take control over their own learning and meet our School’s purpose of “preparing students for their unique futures.” Who We Are:
Since our founding two decades ago, Stratford Schools has grown from a single school in Danville, California, to a dynamic network of 25 campuses across the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, and Orange County. We serve students from preschool through eighth grade, and in September of 2022, we will launch our much anticipated high school--Stratford Preparatory, in San Jose, California. The school will open with 450 students enrolled in grades 6-8 and 120 students in grade 9 growing, over four years, to a combined middle and high school capacity of 950 students. Our high school curriculum will build upon key elements that have attracted students and their families to Stratford Schools while adding new signature programs created and developed by founding faculty. We are building a team of talented, passionate, and entrepreneurial educators to ensure our students receive the best education in the
world. Join us! Responsibilities:
Skills and Capabilities:
- Directs all phases of the college admissions process, from initial inquiry to matriculation.
- Lead a team of associate college counselors as the school grows who will each manage 25-30 students per year.
- Meet with Stratford Preparatory parents about the college search and application process.
- Write individualized letters of recommendation on behalf of the senior class, summarizing each student’s high school experience and the faculty’s views of the overall contribution made by that student.
- Plan and deliver four-year programming for parents and for students consistent with a high-functioning college counseling program.
- Maintain and cultivate relationships with college admission officers.
- Stay informed on current admissions and counseling trends through reading and research, maintaining membership in, and attending professional associations and conferences.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of each department’s curricular offerings.
- Serve as the point person for answering any questions about college admissions, financial aid and scholarships, A-G Requirements, standardized testing, and trends in higher education.
- Use a personalized approach to college counseling, reinforcing the idea of “fit” in developing a college list and making thoughtful recommendations.
- Educate families about college, the admissions process, trends, procedures, and testing
- Advise students and families on testing (SAT, ACT, SAT Subject Test, and AP)
- Plan and administer PSAT testing for the high school and coordinate AP testing logistics, place test orders, and administer the exams
- Meet with students to discuss course selection and sequence in order to meet graduation requirements and be well prepared for their college admissions and career goals
- Assist with the development of graduation requirements and the advising of students on dual enrollment courses.
- Engagement and involvement in professional organizations (NACAC, WACAC, NAIS, BAYSCC) for personal development and to raise the profile of Stratford Schools.
- Develop content for the College Counseling webpage and maintain the information
- Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- At least 3-5 years serving as a Director of College Counseling.
- Master’s degree.
- Familiarly with Naviance to manage college applications and onboard students.
- An understanding of the University of California and California State University admissions practices
- Strong organizational and time management.
- Interest in fully engaging in the life of the school, and a commitment to fostering an inclusive and equitable community.