BASIS Independent Schools, a subsidiary of Spring Education Group, is a national network of PreK-12 private, secular schools that educate students to the highest international levels. Our ten campuses, located in some of the most bustling, dynamic metropolitan areas in the country, are part of the BASIS Curriculum Schools global network. We believe in setting a higher standard for students and promoting self-reliance and accountability in a culture where hard work is celebrated, and intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary outcomes.BASIS Independent Brooklyn Upper is seeking qualified candidates for a Humanities Teaching Fellow for immediate hire! What We're Looking For
Humanities Teaching Fellows establish a solid foundation of language and social science skills and knowledge. Language Arts concepts covered include the writing process, grammar, reading comprehension, and literary and rhetorical devices. Some social science topics covered include world history, American history, beginnings of geographic awareness, and basic civics and government. These broad and varied areas of study give ELA teachers the ability to approach the material in new and creative ways, while providing students with a broad knowledge base to build upon.
The Teaching Fellow's role is to assist the lead teacher while learning the BASIS Independent Schools' model with opportunities for growth and a successful transition into Lead Teacher roles. Teaching Fellows have the opportunity to learn all aspects of the school preparing them for the classroom or administration in the future. Teaching Fellows help in the efforts to build and maintain a strong, positive achievement-oriented school culture. This position is a visible presence in all areas of the school and can assist with any issues relating to the well-being of the students during their time at the school.
The Teaching Fellows will be required to attend all staff meetings and any training required of Teachers. Primary Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting teachers with classroom management
- Student academic support and tutoring
- Assisting classroom teachers with events, labs, and testing
- Working with teachers in evaluating student progress and gains
- Proctoring assessments
- Monitoring and managing student's non-scheduled time, to include Early Bird and Late Bird supervision and Lunch Monitor responsibilities
- Monitoring and managing study groups
- Coordinating homework and assignments for absent students
- Assisting Directors of Student Affairs and Deans with managing behavior and discipline
Essential Teacher Qualifications
- Assisting Directors of Academic Programs with execution of key programs
- Strong belief in and adherence to the BASIS Independent Schools model
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment and decision making
- Ability to work with diverse constituents while maintaining high professional standards
- Exemplary organizational skills; ability to establish and manage multiple priorities; ability to work under pressure
- Outstanding attention to detail and accuracy
Minimum Qualifications: A bachelor's degree in the subject area. Coursework or experience in education is not required, nor is certification. Candidates must have the ability to obtain a fingerprint clearance card.
Preferred Qualifications: Subject matter postgraduate work (master's or Ph.D.) is preferred. Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Critically, an applicant must possess a high GPA in his/her major, excellent recommendations, experience working with children- not necessarily in the classroom- and be open to new ideas in teaching. Benefits
BASIS Independent Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- BASIS Independent Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Competitive salary dependent on education and experience.
- Career growth opportunities focused on continuous learning, mentorship, and professional advancement across our network of schools.
- Retirement options through which eligible participants may receive a 50% Company match for the first 10% of employee earnings deferred.
- Three PPO medical plans to choose from, as well as dental and vision insurance.
- An FSA option that allows for pre-tax dollars to cover medical, dependent care, and transit.
- Student tuition remission for your children to attend our schools.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. In general, this position requires an individual to frequently walk, stand, sit, squat, stoop, reach, kneel, rise from the floor, twist, listen, read, write, and speak the English language. In addition, this position often requires an individual to carry, lift, use repetitive or fine hand movements, and occasionally push, pull, or bend. This position is regularly required to hear and use clear vision with or without correction. Spring Education Group, including, but not limited to SEG Inc., and their affiliates (collectively "Company") is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants for employment and employees are provided equal employment opportunities, including in recruitment, hiring, and assignment, without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion and religious creed, sex (including pregnancy and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital or familial status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, genetic information, military/veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law. The Company expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee or student harassment or discrimination.Other details
- Job Function: High School Education
- Pay Type: Salary
- Min Hiring Rate: $50,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate: $50,000.00