This position works part time, supporting the campus with transporting children, parents, and Spring Education Group staff by driving a passenger van to and from the school, and to and from special outings/field trips while adhering to driving regulations and providing a safe vehicle.
This person will also support the campus with lunch and after school supervision of students.
- Provides a safe vehicle by observing visual defects; checking operating systems including brakes, horn, windshield wipers, lights, extended stop arms, emergency flasher, and door-opening devices using a monthly bus safety checklist.
- Maintains communications with school/Principal by verifying battery strength of cellular telephone; checking-in with school/Principal.
- Transports children to school by picking up children at assigned stops; instructing children when it is safe to board the vehicle; observing children hurrying to the pick-up site so no one is left behind.
- Maintains safe conditions while traveling by enforcing safety and discipline rules; reporting unruly children to school administration; completing incident reports.
- Teaches children safety procedures by reminding them to cross the road in front of the vehicle; conducting practice evacuation routes.
- Uses and maintains a daily student attendance bus log, including the Face to Name procedure.
- Conducts end-of-day safety and security check by inspecting and locking the vehicle.
- Implements emergency plan in the event of an accident by notifying police and/or ambulance service; administering first-aid until help arrives; initiating evacuation plan; comforting children; filing an accident report.
- Provides transportation to and from special events and outings by driving students, SEG staff, and parents.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading transportation safety journals.
- CDL required for the vehicle driver
- Driver is subject to SEG and state/federal policies, procedures, and requirements (including drug testing).
- Attends local or regional training and development sessions as required.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Driving record acceptable to SEG.
- High School diplomas or equivalent (GED) required.
- Drivers of school buses must have a commercial driver's license with passenger and school bus endorsements. (To get the school bus endorsement, you must pass a knowledge test. You must also pass a skills test required for the class of school bus you drive or intend to drive.)
- Minimum of one (1) year experience.
- Must be 23 years of age or older.
- The ability to work independently is a material part of the job, requiring a significant level of diplomacy, confidentiality, and trust.
- Communicates frequently and respectfully with children directly, in child-friendly tones, and on their level.
- The ability to read and translate maps into written directions, and vice versa.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and communication skills. Creates a responsive and productive working relationship with children, parents, teachers, and other staff by communicating clearly and concisely.