The Accounts Payable Manager is a critical member of the Accounting and Finance team and reports directly to the Assistant Controller. The Accounts Payable Manager will work closely with colleagues to increase departmental accuracy and efficiency and provide strong leadership to the Accounts Payable department. Key areas of responsibility include supervision of the accounts payable staff and related workflows, defining and tracking key processing and productivity indicators, enhancement and automation of procedures, process improvement, and usage of the financial system and available technologies. This role effectively performs assigned responsibilities while representing the core values of the company and adhering to all company policies and proper accounting practices.
This is a hybrid position based out of our West Chester PA office.
To succeed as an Accounts Payable Manager, you should be focused on optimizing departmental processes and building lasting relationships with others within and outside of the business. You should be knowledgeable, analytical, and decisive with excellent leadership and communication skills. Proven leadership and staff development skills are essential for this position.
Partnering with school operations in a multi-unit environment is also a key success factor for this position. We are a growing company therefore the successful candidate will be productive in a dynamic environment where priorities are determined by business opportunities.
- Perform supervisory functions for the accounts payable department, including interviewing and recommending the hiring of new staff members; providing or arranging for training for staff; evaluating staff performance; and recommending personnel actions to ensure adequate and competent staffing
- Establishment of clear performance objectives for the department overall and for each direct report. Strengthen and evaluate staff members through positive and constructive feedback and engage staff members within departmental initiatives
- Develop, analyze and monitor performance and financial metrics to assess accounts payable department operations
- Effectively liaison between functional areas including Accounting, IT, and School Operations to ensure business operators are receiving quality and timely services and information to successfully execute Company strategy.
- Other duties/ responsibilities as assigned.
- Contribution to supporting the internal control environment by demonstrating ownership of internal controls and taking ownership of responsibilities, identifying and correcting process breakdowns and recommending improvements
- Display strong organization and project management skills with a propensity to embrace and support change
- Exude strong verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills within all levels of the organization including, but not limited to, the following:
- Showing a positive, “can do” attitude in team meetings
- Keeping your Outlook calendar updated with all meetings, personal obligations, etc.
- Use of Google chat to allow team members to interact timely and effectively
- Ability and inclination to roll up sleeves and dig in and to problem solve independently and/or with other members of the organization (ie. be a team player)
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree in Accounting or business-related degree, or a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience
- Prior supervisory experience in accounts payable or general ledger preferred
- Multi-unit business experience
- Experience in a rapidly growing and changing organization
- Ability to interface and communicate effectively with operational management across the Company as well as with external vendors
- Strong computer skills including knowledge of computer financial applications and proficiency in Word and Excel
- Self-directed demonstrating high levels of ethics and integrity; uses time effectively and prioritizes tasks to meet deadlines