The person selected for this position will be responsible for the general supervision and management of the preschool classroom children ages 3 - 4 years old. This person must be professionally prepared as a teacher of young children, including meeting the minimum educational requirements as set forth by the local licensing agency.
- Planning, supervising, and implementing the curriculum in accordance with Van Avery policies and procedures.
- Being responsible for the ordered arrangement, appearance, and décor of the classroom environment. This will include sharing the joint housekeeping responsibilities of the staff
- Attend all staff meetings and in-house training programs
- Participation in all school events, including but not limited to:
- Parent/Student Orientation
- Winter Programs
- Spring Open House
- Student Back-to-School Night
- Parent Workshops
- Parent Conferences
- Regularly maintain a classroom bulletin board displaying student artwork
- Monitor and assess student progress
- Maintain close communication with the principal and parent regarding student issues, conferencing as deemed necessary
- Submit weekly lesson plans to the principal
- Establish a non-punitive method of classroom discipline, seeking positive rather than negative methods to correct student behavior
- Maintain professional attitude and loyalty to the school at all times.
- Maintain a friendly and positive attitude toward parents, students, and administration.
- Cooperate in the maintenance of interpersonal relationships, refrain from complaining and gossiping.
- Alert to the needs of others, students, and co-workers.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Perform daily tasks and responsibilities with integrity, making effective use of time schedules and not requiring constant reminders to complete tasks.
- Treat all children with dignity and respect.
- Demonstrate patience and self-control in dealing with students and staff.
- Display energy and enthusiasm, maintaining evident interest in the job.
- Contribute and share ideas freely with other staff members.
- Use appropriate language in and out of the classroom.
- Appropriately dressed, well groomed, and neat.
Educational Requirement (One of the following):
- Prior to being hired, a teacher shall have twelve post-secondary semester or equivalent quarter units in early childhood education or child development completed, with passing grades, at an accredited or approved college or university; and at least six months of work experience in a licensed child care center or comparable group child care program. The units specified shall include courses that cover the general areas of child growth and development, child, family, and community, and program/curriculum. A transcript from the approved college/university must verify the coursework.
- A Child Development Permit issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- A completed Bachelor’s degree in Child Development