School Bus Driver (CDL Required)
Category: School Administration
School: The Sagemont School
Location: Weston, FL
Date Opened: Jul 29, 2022
Job ID: 14273
Description The School Bus Driver transports students and Sagmont School staff by driving a school bus or passenger van to and from the school, and to and from special outings and athletic practices while adhering to driving regulations and providing a safe vehicle.JOB DUTIES:
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:Driving record acceptable to SEG.High School diplomas or equivalent (GED) required.Minimum of one (1) year experience.CDL requiredMust be 23 years of age or older.The ability to work independently is a material part of the job, requiring a significant level of diplomacy, confidentiality, and trust.Communicates frequently and respectfully with children directly, in child-friendly tones, and on their level.The ability to read and translate maps into written directions, and vice versa.Exhibits strong interpersonal and communication skills.Creates a responsive and productive working relationship with children, parents, teachers, and other staff by communicating clearly and concisely.
- Provides a safe vehicle by observing visual defects; checking operating systems including brakes, horn, windshield wipers, lights, extended stop arms, emergency flasher, and door-opening devices using a monthly bus safety checklist.
- Cell phone use, while driving, is prohibited at all times. Cell phones may be used to call the school Principal in emergency situations only.
- Maintains communications with school/Principal by verifying battery strength of cellular telephone; checking-in with school/Principal.
- Transports children to school by picking up children at assigned stops; instructing children when it is safe to board the vehicle; observing children hurrying to the pick-up site so no one is left behind.
- Maintains safe conditions while traveling by enforcing safety and discipline rules; reporting unruly children to school administration; completing incident reports.
- Teaches students safety procedures by reminding them to cross the road in front of the vehicle; conducting practice evacuation routes.
- Uses and maintains a daily student attendance bus log, including the Face to Name procedure.
- Conducts end-of-day safety and security check by inspecting and locking the vehicle.
- Implements emergency plan in the event of an accident by notifying police and/or ambulance service; administering first-aid until help arrives; initiating evacuation plan; comforting children; filing an accident report.
- Emergency first aid kit and other required materials, by state, should be available on all buses
- Driver is subject to The Sagemont School and state/federal policies, procedures, and requirements (including drug testing).